Johnson Matthey Battery Systems is Europe’s leading independent designer and manufacturer of lithium-ion battery systems. We deliver individual battery solutions for electric and hybrid vehicles, as well as high volumes of batteries for e-bikes, power tools and mobile technologies. We also offer battery solutions for stationary energy storage applications.
An Engineering Manager position has become available for the Gliwice site. Reporting directly to the Senior Site Manager and functionally dotted line to the Chief Engineer, the position is responsible for leading and managing the Product Engineering and Laboratory teams in the development and introduction of a wide range of consumer and industrial electro-mechanical assemblies for the business unit. In this role, you will:
Provide Technical Leadership & Product Engineering
- Create and develop practical, feasible & economical product concepts to meet customer objectives.
- Provide technical & procedural guidance, training and mentoring to Product Engineering team. Provide appropriate levels of technical and procedural training to other PTMP staff as required.
- Approve technical releases of engineering designs, validation and certification reports.
- Ensure the implementation of Technical Best Practice.
- Support Sales & Marketing efforts.
Lead & Manage Product Engineering (incl. Test, Development & Validation) Department and Project Management Team.
- Report monthly departmental performance against budget and productivity targets.
- Coordinate Product Engineering resources to meet scope and delivery requirements of multiple projects, minimizing labour overtime and ensuring quality and procedural requirements met at all times.
- Ensure that ongoing Engineering Product Database Management tasks are carried out punctually and reliably.
- Ensure departmental compliance with all EHS & legal regulations.
- Prepare annual departmental budget and headcount plan.
Give key technology input to PTMP strategy development.
- Participate in new / novel products and technology evaluations;
- Identify & develop relationships with potential key technology partners.
- Provide input to market and business plan development and implementation.
- Prepare and present Annual Technology Roadmap to support group strategic business development.
- Make recommendations for capital project prioritization;
- Advise on & support implementation of CAD, CAE, PDM & MRP systems.
Lead Technical Project Management & play one of key roles in New Product Development and Introduction
- Take lead responsibility for all engineering activities in new product development and introduction ensuring that all projects meet procedural requirements, and cost / quality / timing & scope goals.
- Provide leadership to team, ensuring appropriate cooperation of Product Engineering with Project Management team to ensure timely and cost-effective project delivery.
TRAINING, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
FOR THE POSITION:
Essential Experience / Qualifications
- Educated to at least degree level, in an Engineering subject. Professional, Chartered or EurIng status, with significant experience in managing and leading professional and technical staff within a electronic/consumer/automotive product manufacturing environment;
- First-hand involvement in the launch of new automotive, or related products;
- Must have a broad technical and analytical background in order to provide credible technical leadership in Electronic, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
- Must have appropriate Project Management and Commercial knowledge, skills and experience to provide gravitas and credibility in customer and supplier interactions.
- Experience in working within an ISO9001 and/or TS16949 certified site;
- Understanding of legislative process as applied to approval and certification of electrical and battery products
- Experience working in different cultures and countries.
Essential Personal Skills / Competencies
- Goal oriented with the ability to construct and carry out diverse plans and priorities within specific timetables;
- Self starter; well organized and able to work to challenging deadlines;
- Possesses technical excellence and good project management skills;
- Creative, with a keen understanding of the customer product base and typical design approaches; willing and able to learn;
- Builds strong teams and empowers employees to achieve goals and objectives, while encouraging personal growth and development;
- Objective and analytical approach to problem solving;
- Be fluent in both spoken and written English and Polish;
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Have an appreciation of cultural differences for cross-border working;