Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.
Miejsce pracy: Warszawa
What does the Messaging Ops team do?
• We provide global operational support to the teams involved in targeting, creating, and sending messages at Groupon.
• We fix system issues in production really fast so that we can ensure optimal uptime and therefore stable message delivery.
• We develop applications to ensure any issue is identified and solved quickly. We’re in our element when it comes to monitoring.
• We are obsessed with automation in order to provide the most efficient support to messaging services and to the team. Some services we develop have the potential to scale and be used by the entire company.
What impact will your work have?
• We operate on a global scale, so your work will impact millions of customers.
• You will work to make a core side of Groupon infrastructure - messaging - more fault tolerant, automated, and efficient.
• You’ll act as an advocate for adoption of best practices in system design and support standards.
Some examples of Messaging Production projects are...
• Developing monitoring and health checks on message targeting processes.
• Developing systems to automate issue mitigation processes for alerting, tracking, and communication.
• Automating post deploy smoke tests to test and validate production changes.
What do we need from you?
• DevOps experience supporting distributed systems. You know what we’re talking about when we say Ansible, Docker and Jenkins.
• Preferred flavor of ice cream is chocolate and preferred OS is Linux. And you’re very good at it.
• +5 years of hands-on experience with Python. Experience with Ruby or Java is a plus.
• Understanding of DNS and TCP/IP.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The savvy to know what should be automated and when.
• The experience to breakdown distributed systems, identify points of failure, and fix problems.
• Experience working in a distributed support team with minimal supervision.
• Be available for a rotating on call schedule.